Re: Commas...

Subject: Re: Commas...
From: Laura J Valentine <fiend+ -at- CMU -dot- EDU>
Date: Sat, 14 Sep 1996 22:51:53 -0400

Excerpts from tech: 14-Sep-96 Commas... by Gary Comins -at- WORLD -dot- STD -dot- CO
> Can anyone advise, what is the current standard for using commas now, in
> technical and marketing communication? Do you include or omit a comma
> before the _and_ in a series?

> Also, someone recently said they learned in college to put two spaces
> after a period, preceding the next sentence. Is there a consensus on one
> or two spaces?

(As I've said previously, I'm still a student. Feel free to correct me. :)

According to my illustrious Tech Writing professor...fiction still uses
the 2 spaces after a period, but technical and business writing no
longer do, and commas are omitted before the and.

--laura

-<+>- fiend+ -at- cmu -dot- edu -=-=- http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~jacquez/ -<+>-
Cthulhu is the Patron Saint of Pittsburgh... -=- "Each of us, at some time in
our lives, turns to someone, a father, a brother, a God and asks, 'Why am I
here? What was I meant to be?'" --Spock -=- Alpha Phi Omega, Kappa Chapter.

Searchable archives located at http://www.documentation.com/
ALL questions or problems concerning the list
should go to the listowner, Eric Ray at ejray -at- ionet -dot- net -dot-