Re: Book types most favored

Subject: Re: Book types most favored
From: Mark <mcierz -at- IQUEST -dot- NET>
Date: Sun, 29 Sep 1996 11:28:50 -0500

The word "dummies" has made a lot of money for IDG (the publisher) so
apparently not too many people have suffered in self-esteem from buying
books of that series.

Are you that surprised there are "dummies and idiots" books in a
marketplace? Look at TV and magazine ads. Keep the topic/message simple.
As George Wallace once advised Jesse Jackson on oratory: "Speak to the
level of goats." You can't listen to Jesse without hearing rhyming phrases
and he is supposed to be one of the nation's best orators.

Simple sells. Simple is easily understood.

----------
From: Rebecca Phillips <rebecca -at- QRONUS -dot- CO -dot- IL>
To: TECHWR-L -at- LISTSERV -dot- OKSTATE -dot- EDU
Date: Sunday, September 29, 1996 11:24 AM

There has developed a split in the field of computer books between the
"get-started" easy books, like the "Dummies" series, and the full-scale
"kitchen-sink" books like the "Unleashed" series. I think I know why people
would buy each type, and under what conditions, but I wanted to ask the
list
for input.

Are others of the same mind, or do you buy one or the other?

Usually, I expect to get most of my "get-started" information from the
documentation that comes with the software. Since my job is to learn how to
use software, even skimpy or poor documentation is almost always enough to
get me started. So I usually find myself looking for kitchen-sink or
advanced books for the tools I use most.

When I want to learn a totally new area, say, how to write marketing
documentation or build a Website, I look for a "getting started" book. I
also look for general books on writing and time and personnel management. I
find it a turn-off when the word "dummies" is in the title, though.

Rebecca M. Phillips
Documentation Manager
Qronus Interactive Ltd.
Automated System Testing