Frequent doc revisions

Subject: Frequent doc revisions
From: geoff-h -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA
Date: Mon, 7 Oct 1996 08:51:32 -0500

There's another interesting point that I just twigged to
about the "put docs on the web so they're always up to
date" philosophy.

Remember the old GIGO (garbage in, garbage out) rule? The
"garbage in" in this case is the notion that you've got to
keep constantly revising the product. I don't doubt that
there are good reasons why a documented product keeps
changing enough to need new docs, but it's worth noting the
many moans we keep encountering about (for ex.) Microsoft
Word. The philosophy of "keep changing the features and to
hell with stability and performance" attitude is common
nowadays, and it leads to the "garbage out" part of the
acronym: keep revising the docs just to keep up. Just what
are we espousing here? Worth a thought...