Re: Relevance of Java to TWers?

Subject: Re: Relevance of Java to TWers?
From: Marjan Bace <maba -at- MANNING -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 1996 14:29:00 -0500

At 10:15 AM 10/24/96, Chuck Beck wrote:
>Esteemed colleagues:

>In preparing to do a presentation at an upcoming STC regional conference, I
>am grappling with the question of how Java is likely to impact on our lives
>and careers as technical communicators.

>This presentation will be a basic overview of what Java and JavaScript are,
>give some current examples of how they are being used on the WWW, and throw
>out some thoughts about how this new techology will likely affect us,
>specifically, as technical communicators.

>I have some ideas of my own, but it occurred to me that this presentation
>would be even more effective if I could offer insights others may be able to
>offer. I would appreciate any thoughts any of you would care to share with
>me (especially if you have any personal experience with Java or JavaScript),
>and I will be more than happy to give public credit where credit is due, if
>I use your input as part of the presentation.

We published a book recently called Making Sense of Java that is a high
level view and may be of use to you. It can even be downloaded
electronically. The ToC and some chapters, index, etc. can be found by
starting with

http://www.browsebooks.com

Marjan

Marjan Bace, Ph.D., Publisher and Partner
Manning Publications Co., 3 Lewis Street, Greenwich, CT 06830
203 629 2028, fax 203 661 9018
http://www.browsebooks.com, http://www.spindoczine.com