Re: Screen Vibrates In Spasms

Subject: Re: Screen Vibrates In Spasms
From: David Jones <dvjones -at- KSBE -dot- EDU>
Date: Thu, 7 Nov 1996 11:50:52 +0000

I once worked in an office with a window that faced a TV transmission
tower. We had what we called "televators" -- narrow horizontal
bands of distortion that would slowly rise from the bottom of the
screen and disappear off the top.

Getting monitors and cabling with better shielding solved the problem
(we couldn't move our office to the other side of the building, which
did *not* have the problem). (As the old US FCC notice says, "If you
notice electrical interference, reorient the antenna"; a monitor and
cable with bad shielding make great antennas!)

You might also check into a noise-filtering device to put between
your computer and monitor and other causes of electrical noise, such
as laser printers, other office equipment, etc.

On 7 Nov 96 at 11:33, TIMMERMAN wrote:

> Hi All,

> Jim Lindsey wrote about a virus that may have been contained in an
> email attachment and a possible consequence, "... but now the screen
> vibrates in spasms every few minutes." I don't know about the virus
> but my screen has had spasms. The entire image would vibrate for a
> few seconds every 15 seconds. Imagine working on the computer all
> day long with a screen full of text that starts to shake, rattle,
> and roll. Our computer guru replaced the monitor; no change. He
> finally moved the monitor to different locations in my office.
> After trying about four locations, he found one where the spasms
> were less frequent and very minimal. I don't even notice the spasms
> anymore. The cause -- environmental. There must be stray
> electromagnetic energy in my office from cables buried in the floor,
> walls, and/or ceiling. If anyone else has this problem, try moving
> your monitor to a different spot.

David Jones, Technical Writer
dvjones -at- ksbe -dot- edu

Thought for the day:
Concerto (n): a fight between a piano and a pianist.

DISCLAIMER:
The views described herein are the views of the author, and
do not represent the views or opinions of Kamehameha Schools
Bishop Estate, nor is there any approval or authorization of
this material, express or implied, by the Kamehameha Schools
Bishop Estate. If you suspect that any of the material in
this message or attachments thereto is in violation of a
copyright, please notify the Webmaster immediately by e-mail
at "Webmaster -at- ksbe -dot- edu".