Re: ie and eg

Subject: Re: ie and eg
From: John Engler <spillman!jengler -at- UUNET -dot- UU -dot- NET>
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 1996 13:21:54 -0700

I agree that these abbreviations are not extremely difficult to
understand, although I'm *certain* the distinction between the two of
them eludes the *average* reader. But that's not why I don't use them.

I don't use them because I try to write as though I'm talking
(verbalizing) with my readers, a sort of dialogistic approach. And I
would never say "ie" or "eg" if I were talking with them, so I don't use
them when I write either. Why take the chance that they might not
understand, or that it might distract, when I've got a simple way to
eliminate that possibility?

John Engler
jengler -at- spillman -dot- com
Spillman Data Systems, Inc.
Logan UT

P.S. (See, I'm not against abbreviations altogether) I emphatically
disagree with the implication that an audience who doesn't understand (or
like) ie or eg is illiterate.