Re: Hard/Soft 'G' in GIF

Subject: Re: Hard/Soft 'G' in GIF
From: Kim Keegan <keegan -at- EXPLORERS -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 6 Dec 1996 08:07:42 -0800

How to pronounce "GIF"....

I've heard three ways since I first became aware of the term:

1. With a hard G (as in "graphics", "great")
2. With a soft G (as in "geriatric", "gender")
3. Spelled out (G-I-F)

I'd have to say that the soft-G pronunciation doesn't come up often except from
inexperienced (in terms of the web) users. Everyone at my company uses the hard-G
pronunciation, and sometimes they spell it out when necessary (that is, the person on
the other end of the conversation says, "Huh, what's a 'GIF'?").

The demographics? Small (35 employees) custom software/database management/ISP
company in Dayton, OH, USA.

Happy Friday!

--
Kim Keegan | keegan -at- explorers -dot- com
http://www2.explorers.com/~keegan/