Copyrights and legal agreements

Subject: Copyrights and legal agreements
From: Alexander Von_obert <avobert -at- TWH -dot- MSN -dot- SUB -dot- ORG>
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 1996 23:03:00 +0100

Hello Chris,

* Antwort auf eine Nachricht von Chris Hamilton an All am 16.12.96

CH> From: Chris Hamilton <chamilton -at- GR -dot- COM>

CH> EMPLOYEE hereby acknowledges that any copyrights created while
CH> he/she is
CH> an employee of (company name) shall be considered a word made
CH> for hire
CH> with title thereto in (company name).

I know hardly anything about "copyright", but I know a bit about the Berne
Convention on intellectual property rights. At least parts of it are valid
even in the USA. Considering this my oppinion is:

It is completely uninteresting what you sign. You are no Shakespeare and you
do not write McBeth. Therefore no intellectual property rights apply.

...but watch out if you write a novel while you are employed by that company
:-)

Watch out for "25 Myths About Copyright", a regular posting in the newsgroup
news.answers.

Greetings from Germany,
Alexander

--
Alexander von Obert, Urbanstr. 2, 90480 Nuernberg, Germany
Free-lance Technical Writer (electronics, software)