Re: Proper Netiquette

Subject: Re: Proper Netiquette
From: "Accentuated Brandname Creativity, Inc." <acreatyv -at- SATURN -dot- NET>
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 1997 00:07:14 -0500

I wrote, in part:

> We are not a close-knit community of long-term colleagues who know each
> other personally, but a collection of casual acquaintances known to

Sabahat replied to this part:

>Beg to differ. Expanding on the scenario in Eric's Administrivia, if you
>stick
>around in a collection of your peers/colleagues/professional counterparts,
>you
>become a wee bit more than "casual" acquaintances.

I did not say that the regular posters all remain total strangers to each
other; of course, one comes to learn a great deal about each of us. I was
talking about a completely different issue: the extent to which someone who
may have been threatened, if not victimized, should be expected to identify
herself or himself before the *entire* list, about most of whom she or he
will know next to nothing (and nothing *relevant to the context* about even
the most frequent posters).

Many people perceive a risk at least to the point of not stating their
titles or roles (FWIW I'm a freelancer), work phone numbers and addresses
(FWIW I'm in the Boston area), or indeed anything more than first and last
name and e-mail address. If some perceive still greater risk, nobody has
the right to judge them to be overreacting, let alone impolite. You are not
living their lives, which happen to extend far beyond this forum.

Chuck Brandstater
acreatyv -at- saturn -dot- net