Re: Typoz in Resumes

Subject: Re: Typoz in Resumes
From: "Huber, Mike" <mrhuber -at- SOFTWARE -dot- ROCKWELL -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 1997 09:03:12 -0600

> Robert Plamondon said:
>
> If you have an opening for a single writer, you try to recruit a perfect
> self-editor (in addition to the other qualities!).

And if you need holes drilled you try to recruit a unicorn.

> If you have an opening
> for a writer in a small group, you look for someone who can check over
> other writers' work. If you have an opening for a writer in a group which
> has an editor, you don't need to worry so much about editing; although,
> if their cv is riddled with typoz, you might want to think about the
> workload you're placing on your editor!

Riddled with typos is obviously a bad thing. Rejecting on the basis of
one or two is another. Somebody else used an analogy of driving to apply
for a job as a mechanic in a car that's falling apart. What's being
discussed here is more on the order of the shop owner going out and
giving the applicant's car a complete examination, then turning him down
because the left tail light has blown out.

Are the people doing the hiring actually getting stacks of reasonably
well organized resumes that show appropriate background and skills, and
do they have time to line-edit resumes? Neither was the case when I was
involved in hiring writers.