Re: Documents before products

Subject: Re: Documents before products
From: Lucille Lattanzi <llattan -at- ESTEE -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 1997 13:50:01 -0800

Sue Heim commented:

>John Ahlstrom wrote:
>> A couple of days ago someone wrote a pitiful
>> lament and a wonderful response to the problem
>> it lamented. Something like:
>> My boss said I have to have this
>> thing documented and the code is not
>> even writtent yet. When I asked "How?",
>> he said, "Make reasonable guesses."
>
> If I could I would write:
> "If you type any key, your computer will
> crash. If you call our technical support,
> they will blame Microsoft."
In many years working for software companies, I "wrote" a few manuals
based entirely on external design documents. I once did research over
the phone with folks at the client site who thought I was logged into
their software. The head of programming couldn't see wasting a log-on on
the tech writers. All I had in front of me were screen shots. I thought
this short-sightedness was SOP in the software industry. (That company
is now out of business.)
And you thought technical writing wasn't creative.

PS - I'm glad to see the feuding is over. I was ready to unsubscribe. I
see enough in in-fighting every day from my cube.