Re: Looking for words

Subject: Re: Looking for words
From: "Olivia C. Williamson" <olivia -at- SULMAIL -dot- STANFORD -dot- EDU>
Date: Tue, 6 May 1997 16:51:47 -0700

On Tue, 6 May 1997 20:17:57 GMT Len Olszewski <saslpo -at- UNX -dot- SAS -dot- COM> wrote:
> In article <8625648F:006BC57C -dot- 00 -at- gpsnotes8 -dot- gps -dot- com>, RJACOBSE -at- gps -dot- com writes:
> |> I'm looking for alternatives to the words "parent" and "child" to describe
> |> entities in a outline-like conceptual structure. One alternative for
> |> "child" is "dependent," but I can't think of an easily aprehended analog
> |> for "parent."

> "Main" and "subordinate" seem to work here. You could try "primary" and
> "subordinate", or if you need other levels, "primary", "secondary",
> "tertiary", and so forth.

The only other terminology I've seen is that used for directory structures,
with "branching nodes" and "leaf nodes". Example: C:\Windows\win.ini is a
leaf node, while the next higher node is C:\Windows, a branching node that
contains other nodes.

However, if you have a lot of levels, that might get clunky.

Why do you want to avoid parent and child?

- Olivia