Re: Frame vs. Word

Subject: Re: Frame vs. Word
From: Shorter Rankin <srank -at- PACBELL -dot- NET>
Date: Tue, 6 May 1997 23:19:38 -0400

Look how the problem is stated. "This list is to convince a manager that
some sort of consistent software package should be used and not a
mixture of two."

Kevin, the problem with this approach, as I see it, is that it can lead
to the wrong tool being used just because it is 'approved' rather than
the right tool for the particular job. If it were me in your shoes I
would say to the manager use Word for the jobs Word is good at; use
Framemaker for the jobs it is good at. Others are far more qualified
than I to list what those attributes are. For more specific
recommendations you would need to tell us a lot more about the
documentation requirements in your firm. Depending on your needs you
might be able to get by with one program or the other. From my lurking,
I'd say the greatest danger you face in the one-tool approach is the
danger of pushing Word beyond its reasonable capabilities.

HTH,

Shorter Rankin
srank -at- pacbell -dot- net