Re: Half Day Interview

Subject: Re: Half Day Interview
From: Elna Tymes <etymes -at- LTS -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 8 May 1997 12:37:26 -0700

Michael Clark wrote:

> A potential employer of mine said they would like me to spend "at least
> a half a day" with them for an interview.
>
> What in the world would we do over a half day?! Should I prepare for it
> any any differently than I would other interviews?

In these days of team approaches to creating products (and documentation
is part of a product), chances are very good that you'll be spending
that half day being interviewed by several members of the development
team, and possibly an internal 'client' or two. They'll be looking for
not just how you write, but how you collect information, what you do
with changing deadlines and/or project definitions, how you handle
reviews of your material, and general people skills.

I know that some companies (Sun and Hewlett Packard come to mind)
routinely pass a candidate through the team approach to interviewing.
When Apple does team interviews, each person emails the rest immediately
following his/her interview with the candidate, so that subsequent team
members can follow up on things raised earlier.

Elna Tymes