Document management

Subject: Document management
From: Patty Ewy <pewy -at- ICONTROL -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 1997 08:11:53 +0000

Hello all--

A while back I posted questions to this list about document standards,
which is an issue I'm to tackle for my (smallish) software development
company.

All the wonderful responses that grew from that initial inquiry forced
me to step back a bit, and see that the real issues here are those of
document *management,* not document *standards.* I discussed this with
my supervisor, and we are now trying to figure out where to begin with
learning more about document management.

What I'm looking for now is a sort of high-level, philosophical
discussion (or resource) on document management. What should our goals
be? What are the hallmarks of a good/bad/indifferent documentation
management system?

I don't think that we're ready to even begin considering packages to
help us with this--we just want to start figuring out where to begin.
Eventually, though, I think that I will be implementing the system
through an intranet.

Please share your opinions/experiences with me!

Sincerely,
Patty Ewy
pewy -at- icontrol -dot- com