Re: Document management

Subject: Re: Document management
From: Marvin Cochrane <cochrane -at- TSUFL -dot- EDU>
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 1997 18:32:05 -0500

In Part:

>What I'm looking for now is a sort of high-level, philosophical
>discussion (or resource) on document management. What should our goals
>be? What are the hallmarks of a good/bad/indifferent documentation
>management system?

Document Management means you have a process for producing your documents,
tracking their progress through the production process, a process for
updating documents, and a process for tracking all updates. The processes
should include documentation requirements, document design decisions,
distribution/format, information gathering, drafting, editing, document
review, testing, and approval for release. There should be a formal release
procedure. If your documents are related to a product that is under
development or revision, then document production should be integrated into
product production. Once you figure out how you're going to keep everything
controlled and on track, you'll be in a position to consider tools.

Cheers,
Marvin Cochrane