Re: Spacing after a period...

Subject: Re: Spacing after a period...
From: Judy Litt <jlitt -at- QUALITTY -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 1997 15:33:20 GMT

On 7/1/97 1:04PM, in message <33B94693 -dot- 5858 -at- platinum -dot- com>, Weirg
<weirg -at- platinum -dot- com> wrote:

> OK. I'm embarassed to ask this.

Never be embarrassed! No stupid questions, only stupid answers.

> Which is correct? One space after a period or two spaces after a period
> before starting the next sentence.
>
> Since I've been exposed to DTP, I've been using a single space. I've
> recently come in contact with writers that still use two spaces.

You've received plenty of correct answers: one space! In the old typewriter
days, all "fonts" were monospaced, meaning each letter took up the same amount
of space. To make it easier to read (so that two sentences didn't end up
looking like one), people put two spaces after the period.

Nowadays, fonts are proportional. Meaning each letter has a different width.
For instance, an "i" is much narrower than an "M". One space between sentences
is sufficient.
--
Judy Litt/QuaLitty Design Mining Company guide to Graphic Design
http://www.qualitty.com/ http://graphicdesign.miningco.com/

Specializing in logo, advertising, & web page design