Re: Courses to Take

Subject: Re: Courses to Take
From: Beth Agnew <bagnew -at- INSYSTEMS -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 1997 12:55:29 -0400

>Nobody (at least I don't know of any one) uses FrameMaker in India. It is
>almost unheard of. I had a look at one of the demo copies somewhere and
>felt that it was no big deal. (Perhaps because I self-learnt from
>PageMaker 1.0 to PageMaker 4.0 (and onwards). I can learn it in a day and
>teach it the next day. And be an expert in a week.
>
>Recently, I self-learnt RoboHelp in a day or two and delivered a complete
>Help system. I had no documentation but just the help of RoboHelp.
>
>I don't think there is a need for training. You can learn yourself.
>
>Guru
>guruk -at- giasbm01 -dot- vsnl -dot- net -dot- in

Sorry, Guru, I disagree with your first paragraph. One might *feel* like an
expert after a week, but I believe the Pareto Principle applies: it's an
80/20 expertise. You really know 20% of the functions because you use them
80% of the time. I've been using Frame and Word for years, and I'm still
learning little bits here and there when I try something new with them
(pushing the envelope).

I am all for self-learning. I think many people are very quick studies --
they can pick up new software and become productive in very short periods of
time. And if they have some natural teaching ability they can probably pass
along what they have learned to others.
Much of computer knowledge is folklore, after all.

In the best case scenario, the software is designed to accommodate
self-learning and exploration, rather than requiring courses, mentors, and
third-party how-to books. RoboHelp is very good at acting as one expects it
to act, and thus is easier to learn than some other tools.
But to really make the tool sing, you need lots of practice. Additional help
from books or teachers couldn't hurt.

When looking for a software instructor, I'd want to know how long the
instructor used the tool before beginning to teach, and how long the
instructor has been teaching, and who are some of the satisfied students
that I could ask about the effectiveness of the training.

--BethA.
Beth Agnew
Senior Technical Writer, InSystems Technologies Inc.
bagnew -at- insystems -dot- com Tel: (905) 513-1400 ext. 280
Fax: (905) 513-1419
Visit us at: http://www.insystems.com