Human Relations Success Stories: Tech Writers and Developers

Subject: Human Relations Success Stories: Tech Writers and Developers
From: Phillip Wilkerson <phillipw -at- ALLENSYSGROUP -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 1997 09:00:14 -0400

Hello Fellow Technical Communicators:

I'm working with my Human Resources Dept. to create a course in Human Relations
designed specifically for the tech writers on our staff.

As in most software companies, we work with a mix of programmers and
developers, some of whom are quite helpful and understand the value-added that
tech writers bring to a project. Others are more reluctant to share information
or can't see that cooperation with a tech writer produces a win-win situation.
You know the story.

To help the writers on my staff work with these more difficult types of
individuals, I am soliciting ideas, tips, success stories from you. What are
some specific successful ways you have found to deal with programmers /
developers who are difficult, reluctant, uncooperative, overly-cautious, or
too-busy-for-mere-tech-writers?

The more specific examples you can provide, the better. Most likely, the types
of situations you have encountered and your solutions will have application to
our situation as well. Your examples will help me show the writers on staff
here that the difficulties they are encountering are not unique. Also, I think
that third-party examples will carry more weight with the staff here than, say,
suggestions that come strictly from my own personal examples or from our HR
dept. alone.

Please respond via e-mail, as I'm on the digest. I'll post a summary to the
list.

Thanks,

Phil Wilkerson
phillipw -at- allensysgroup -dot- com