Re: Resume Length (2 pages ok?)

Subject: Re: Resume Length (2 pages ok?)
From: Buck Buchanan <buck -dot- buchanan -at- CITICORP -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 1997 13:09:49 -0700

DWeber wrote:

> I was always told as a rule of thumb, to try to keep my resume to one
> page.....at all costs.

Bucksez:

"At all costs" is a bit too restrictive.

How about this:

A one-page FUNCTIONAL (not chronological) resume is best. No dates. No
company names.

Top 3/4 of the page lists skills in three columns as follows:

SKILL YEARS JOB DESCRIPTION

Bottom 1/4 of page lists PERTINENT education. The hiring authority cares
not about any courses you took which do not apply to the job.

Tilly's sister finished her business degree at Auburn University in
Dallas by taking these courses in her final semester:

WELDING
GOLF
BELLY DANCING

Believe it! How does she use her education? She cleans the convention
center and sets up displays for exhibitors.

Overseas contracts and Academic positions (yeah, right) require more
than one page.
Don't send any copies of certificates except on these positions.

The hiring authority will probably spend less than one minute looking at
your resume unless some HIGHLIGHTED (BOLD) item catches his/her
attention.

The resume's purpose is to get the interview. Don't be tempted to tell
the whole story in the first communication.

Every item in the advertisement that you're answering should be
addressed. Software, hardware, writing discipline.

If you can put all of that into one page, and if you highlight the right
words, and if you mention all the software they listed, and if the
interviewer feels pretty good on that day, you'll get the interview.

To get the job:

Rehearse the interview over and over and over. Anticipate every question
and memorize your answers.

Don't eat a hamburger (or anything else--avoid burps) just before going
in.

Don't use any perfume.

Use very light lipstick. You too, George.

Polish your shoes.

Manicure your nails. No bright polish.

Hone your English-speaking skills. My Texas accent is so strong that,
before an interview, I listen to my recorded voice and practice
neutralizing the drawl before every interview. But New Yoke accents are
just as irritating to some people, so strive for NO DISCERNIBLE ACCENT.

Mimic midwesterners if you can.

Shave your beard. Start growing it back on the day after you get the
job if you want to, but there is still so much prejudice in the
workplace that you've got to turn every card in your favor.

Wear your funeral suit or "dress for success" outfit to the interview.

One of the most important questions to ask at the end of the interview
is:

What is the dress code here; casual or dressy?

Then when you get the job dress slightly above that.
For example, if ties are not required, wear one once a week. If nothing
else, it will make them wonder if you have another interview after work.

And asking the dress code question is better that simply noticing
others. The question itself is important.

Send the interviewer an email thank you note when you get home. NOT
PROFUSE! Just a casual Thanks and "hope to see you again."

Reply to any Religious, Political, or Personal question with, "I'm
sorry, but I never discuss those subjects in the workplace." Although
everyone who knows me, knows that I have an opinion on everything, but
"I don't have an opinion on that subject" has kept me out of trouble
more than once.

And that's the end of that story.

--
Buck Buchanan