Re: Odd survey explained

Subject: Re: Odd survey explained
From: Matthew Flynn <maflynn -at- DTTUS -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 1997 13:22:29 CST

An interesting statement here. I think Mr. Bonney overlooks a few
points:

1. Choosing a software package generally requires a nontrivial cash
outlay. As such, writers frequently use this list as a reference
to justify their choice of tools to their bosses.

2. I have frequently seen postings on usability studies, readability
issues, documentation standards, and other audience related issues
on this forum. To say that TCs focus too much on software
solutions is incorrect. I've never seen a post here suggesting
that technology is going to design and write their manuals for
them.

3. If you want every manual to look the same, try using the military
specs. You end up with manuals that are consistantly organized,
but invariably disliked by readers (my apologies to those TCs
writing MILSPEC).

Form should serve the function of a manual, but "function" can
vary widely. I write documentation for tax-related software whose
primary audience consists of accountants and tax consultants. As
such, I try to present my material in a way that is most
accessable to such an audience. If I was doc-ing a graphics
app for artists or a development kit for C++ programmers, I would
approach these projects differently as well. The organization
changes according to the product type and the audience type. Take
a look at the third-party books available at your local
bookstore--they vary widely in organization and design, and still
are be extremely popular and useful to users of varying tastes and
needs.

If you accept this as true, you should see why it is difficult to
have general conversations of "methodologies" in a forum such as
this one. "Technical writers" write about an incredible variety
of subjects (from washing machines to word processors) for an
incredible variety of audiences. To expect them all to use the
same methodology, and expect audiences to appreciate the result,
is not reasonable.

What it all comes down to is that designing documentation is an
art and not a science.

4. Methodologies for other tasks (application development, for
example) vary widely throughout their respective industries, and
their application is almost never 100% enforced. Take a look at
the variety of ways OOP is implemented, for example, and the
variety evident in its results. Sometimes it works, sometimes it
doesn't. This is not to say that OOP methodologies are useless,
just that they are only a template which is built upon.

5. If you want to improve the quality of documentation, give writers
more time AFTER the product they are documenting is complete and
stable. Too often we are expected to have documentation done and
to the printers before the product itself is fit to sell. It is
little wonder that it is flawed in such situations.

Cheers,
Matthew Flynn mailto:maflynn -at- dttus -dot- com
Technical Writer insert:standard disclaimer
Deloitte & Touche Tax Technologies LLC

Subject: Odd survey explained
Author: don -dot- sargent -at- TEMPLATE -dot- COM at INTERNET-USA
Date: 7/28/97 12:05 PM

[Jack Bonney writes:]

"technical writers" have unreasonably placed their faith in software
packages -- to wit: review all the information and discussion on which
software package to use or to avoid, their features, etc.

nothing exists that resembles a methodology, rather, most discussion
centers around "style" as if every manual should be different for some
unspecified reason -- in fact, there is an annual contest at the
university of waterloo that gives merit for "best looking manual".

--
Don Sargent
Template Software, Inc. "I might only get three strikes in