Re: Back of the manual

Subject: Re: Back of the manual
From: Stuart Burnfield <slb -at- FS -dot- COM -dot- AU>
Date: Fri, 8 Aug 1997 14:16:53 +0800

Geoff Hart said:
> . . .I'd put the index (at the back of the book) and move the
> license agreement to the front. The logic is clear: If you bury the
> license agreement, it's easy for users (particularly pirates) to
> claim they've never seen it before, whereas that claim is hard to
> support if it's the first thing they see when they open the book.

IMO the license agreement should be on or with the software, not the
manual. What if users choose to install the software without opening
the manual, as they are entitled to do?

If the software itself is attached to the manual the licence agreement
should be as close as possible to it. For example, if it's on a CD
stuck to the inside back cover, the licence agreement should be on the
back page page facing it where it's impossible to miss.

Regards
---
Stuart Burnfield This message _Powered by coffee_
Functional Software Pty Ltd
mailto:slb -at- fs -dot- com -dot- au