Re: HDK

Subject: Re: HDK
From: Randy Burgess <ghost -at- DAVINCI -dot- NETAXIS -dot- COM>
Date: Sat, 9 Aug 1997 06:52:03 -0400

> Have any of you used HDK 3.0 help authoring tools? We are currently
> working with the product, and I wanted to know how its regarded.

I'm contracting now at a financial software company that uses HDK
extensively for authoring very large WinHelp help systems (70-plus .hlp
files per help system). The impression of our group of writers is that HDK
is very powerful, but also prone to hanging up or crashing if mishandled
in any way. You have to learn how it wants things done, especially in
relation to Word. Lots of little tricks you pick up as you go along.
Even then, frequent backups are a good idea.

The help for HDK is terrible, both printed and online. The exception is
the What's This help, which is actually useful. There is also an HDK
mailing list you can join on the 'net.