Re: Ugly screens in PDF format

Subject: Re: Ugly screens in PDF format
From: Chris Betterton <ChrisB -at- SELECTST -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 1997 11:53:49 +0100

Are you printing to file from Word, then using Distiller to make a PDF from
the file? Or are you printing directly to PDF (either using the Acrobat
print driver or the File, Create Adobe PDF option, I think it's the same
difference)?

I'm new to Acrobat too and had a similar problem. I found that the quality
of graphics was lousy if I printed to file then converted. If I printed
directly to PDF the graphics looked much better.

Chris Betterton
User Information Developer
Select Software Tools Ltd.
London, UK
chrisb -at- selectst -dot- com
http://www.selectst.com

<snip>
Well, I took everyone's advice and bought Acrobat. It's great fun to work
with, but
I'm having a real problem with grayscale bitmaps of our screen shots. They
print
and display well in Word 6, but when I convert them to the PDF format, they
only
display well at about 200% and they lose information when they print.
(Screen shots
of menu items are not readable. You can't make out the writing!) I've tried
change the compression settings in Distiller, but I don't see any
difference --even with the
compression turned off.
</snip>