Re: a simple question

Subject: Re: a simple question
From: "Huber, Mike" <mrhuber -at- SOFTWARE -dot- ROCKWELL -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 1997 09:57:37 -0500

No, you aren't being picky. But remember, it's not just an adventure,
it's a job.

I just finished a project from hell that was supposed to be "just add an
index to this manual." The manual was so bad (although each of the many,
many, sentences was grammatically correct) that I ended up throwing it
away and starting over from scratch. Redesigned from the ground up.
(Actually, the "re" is kind of bogus - it implies the original manual
had been designed in the first place.) But I'm a employee, not a
contractor, and I worked closely with the project team. They knew what I
was doing and why, every step of the way. And I knew how the delay
affected the project as a whole, and how to minimize the impact. Had I
been a contractor, I think the months added to a one-week project would
have made me look bad, regardless of how much I improved the document.

Remember - you work for the client, not the document. And if the example
represents the overall quality of the source material, a cleanup is
going to be a substantial change of scope. The client has to decide
whether the improvement is worth the extra time and money, and you have
to go with the client's decision. As writers who care about what we do,
we feel a certain duty to make a document right, but that's not always
the right thing to do. Probably the hardest lesson I've had to learn as
a professional writer is how (and when) to let a less than perfect
document go.

Mike Huber
mike -dot- huber -at- software -dot- rockwell -dot- com