Re: a simple question

Subject: Re: a simple question
From: Bill Burns <BillDB -at- ILE -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 1997 08:35:42 -0600

Hey, I WROTE that! ;-)

Seriously, though, it's a horrible paragraph. The parataxis is enough to
make my butt squinch.

Consider what you will face if you do NOT explain the issues to the
client. Will you feel comfortable handing off a flawed document set to
the client? Will you be able to resist the urge to revise? Do you want
your name in any way associated with this dreck? If you want the
opportunity to make these pieces better, tell the client. Find very
clear examples. Provide justifications from style manuals and tech
writing handbooks.

If you're concerned about getting the other tech writer fired, then go
to that person first and use this as an opportunity to educate him or
her. If the tech writer isn't willing to take responsibility for the
mess, then he or she isn't the sort of person with whom you want to work
anyway.

Bill Burns
Technical Writer
ILE Communications Group