Re: Technical Communication Terms

Subject: Re: Technical Communication Terms
From: Tracy Boyington <tracy_boyington -at- OKVOTECH -dot- ORG>
Date: Fri, 3 Oct 1997 14:15:20 -0500

> What do you mean when you use the word "copyedit"?

Our copyeditors check for grammar, spelling, style, and formatting
errors.

> Substantive Edit

In my organization, the project manager does a substantive edit. This is
not checking for technical accuracy or spelling/grammar errors (although
they may be caught at this time), but more of a "is this going in the
right direction" edit... does it cover everything it needs to cover, is
it instructionally sound (which probably won't apply to your situation),
and other things specific to our products.

> Proofread

Our proofreaders check the copyedited copy against the final formatted
copy and make sure all marked corrections have been made.

Tracy