Thanks... and need info on a cross-platform graphic format

Subject: Thanks... and need info on a cross-platform graphic format
From: rcurrier <rcurrier -at- RAINBOW -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 1997 10:14:37 -0700

>Stuart Burnfield wrote:

>>Brian said:
>> On certain systems, though, I've heard of TIF(F) images coming up in
>> black & white only... in this case you may want to try JPG (Joint
>> Photographic Experts Group) files to get maximum color.

>I have had a problem exchanging documents with a sister company who
>uses Frame on Windows only. To them, my TIFFs appear inverted (black=
>white, dark grey=light grey), and their TIFFs appear inverted to me.

This is not just a FrameMaker problem. When I worked in the U.S. for
a Japanese company, we exchanged PageMaker and Word files with our
Japanese offices and frequently saw this inverted TIFF problem. Their
files originated on a Mac and we were reading and using them on PCs. We
never knew if the problem was a cross-platform one, or because they
were using Japanese Word or PageMaker. (We also had some pretty
interesting font problems that we were pretty sure were an
English/Japanese system problem.) The only way we could solve the TIFF
problem was to ask for the TIFF files separately and then replace them
in the document file ourselves. I hope someone can shed more light on
this TIFF problem.