Knowledge Base and Online Docs

Subject: Knowledge Base and Online Docs
From: Annalee Foster <scripta -at- GJ -dot- NET>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 1997 11:21:50 -0600

Hi all,

I have two issues:

1. Anybody have any experience with the compatibility of a help desk
knowledge base and online service documentation?

Our help desk is in the discussion stages of developing their knowledge
base so that when a customer is on the phone they can look up pertinent
information about a given problem.

I am in the process of recommending on-line documenation solutions for
our service manuals which include procedures and system information.

Is there some criteria that we should be matching in these two systems,
or is it only important that we be able to link back and forth as
needed?

2. The purpose of the online service manuals is so that field engineers
can access information via laptops. This would include downloading
pertinent assembly drawings and schematics. The in-house consensus is
that no way will the FE's wait to download drawings, not to mention some
government sites won't allow web access from their sites.

Anybody have any experience with this? Is it a problem? How has it
been dealt with?
The help desk is suggesting putting everything on CD ROM -- an idea I am
opposed to, but maybe I'm just not seeing it correctly.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Annalee