Re: Entry-level requirements

Subject: Re: Entry-level requirements
From: John Prince <prince1 -at- WEBTV -dot- NET>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 1997 21:44:55 -0600

I found some of these entry-level requirements to be very interesting.
I have some input as to the TWs we hire at my company.

IF we were to hire someone for an entry-level position here is what I
would look for:

I would not require any working experience. I feel it's safe to assume
that most entry-level positions are geared towards recent college grads
who are eager to begin a career.

First, I would want someone who has a degree in a "writing" field.
Subject matter is much easier learned than is good writing.

Second, I would expect a solid knowledge of software applications.
Maybe not FrameMaker, but at least Word and some sort of graphics
program. If you graduate college these days without this
knowledge...then you're looking for the wrong career if you want to be a
TW.

Third, I would want for someone that is outgoing. Most people seem to
think that TWs are introverted. I graduated with a degree in Public
Relations and I can tell you that it has paid off in this field...not
only in dealing with engineers, but in the extra steps I take when
writing user documentation to make the company I work for appear
trustworthy and appealing. No fluff...I write it like I care about how
our customers percieve our products.

So to make this short (if that's possible at this point) I really would
not expect someone with hands on professional experience for an
entry-level position, but rather someone with potential that can learn
new material quickly. Isn't adaptation a major requirement for being a
TW?

John
http://members.tripod.com/~princej/DC.html (The Great Dallas Cowboys)

If it's about technical communication--post it! If not, don't!