Re: Re[2]: Embarrassingly basic font question

Subject: Re: Re[2]: Embarrassingly basic font question
From: Beth Friedman <bjf -at- WAVEFRONT -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 1997 16:26:53 -0600

In our previous episode, Virginia Day said:
> Also, if you have postscript fonts, you need a postscript printer.
> Upgrading an HP for postscript (including adding memory) costs about
> $500 and takes a few weeks (to order parts). You might have a
> PS-enabled printer, but if you don't, ....

Uh, that turns out not to be the case. Yes, adding PostScript costs
an extra $500, or so, but you don't need it to print Type 1 fonts,
which are what people usually mean when they say "PostScript fonts."
You need PostScript or Adobe Type Manager. One of the major functions
of Adobe Type Manager (one of the three expansions I know of for ATM)
is to allow non-PostScript printers to print using PostScript fonts.
There are occasional speed problems -- I've notice it most often using
add-in like ClickBook -- but no problems I've seen with print quality.

(Type 3 are bitmap fonts, I believe, and I haven't seen any for years;
Type 42 (named for what you might think) are TrueType fonts in a
PostScript wrapper.)

Beth Friedman bjf -at- wavefront -dot- com
"A civil war is such an awful bother.
We fought at Tewksbury and still ran out of mustard.
I wonder where my brother Richard is." -- John M. Ford