Re: Word 97 Search & Replace

Subject: Re: Word 97 Search & Replace
From: Beth Friedman <bjf -at- WAVEFRONT -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 1997 14:21:59 -0600

In our previous episode, John Posada said:
> I'm working in MSWord97 and I marked a number of phrases for indexing.
> The words and/or phrases have the imbedded markup that resembles
> sonmething to the effect {XE "xxxxx"}. I'm sure you've seen them
> before.
>
> Anyway, I need to remove several hundred of these little puppies and I
> cannot find the Search and Replace handle. Anyone ever have to batch
> remove these little guys? I can display them, I can highlight them, but
> they don't get copied to clipboard.

Assuming Word 95 uses the same codes as Word 97 (which is not a sure
bet -- some changed between Word 6 and Word 95), once you make field
codes visible (Alt-F9 is the toggle between showing field codes and
showing their results), you can search for them by entering "^d" in
the Find What area. You can then leave the Replace With area blank
when you search for them and replace with nothing.

The downside is that if you've used other field codes in the document,
you'll have search and replace one by one, instead of using the
Replace All function.

Alternatively, it would be simple to write a macro that searches for
XE codes, selects the whole field containing the XE, deletes the
field, and repeats until no more fields are found. That's probably
the easiest solution.

Beth Friedman bjf -at- wavefront -dot- com
"A civil war is such an awful bother.
We fought at Tewksbury and still ran out of mustard.
I wonder where my brother Richard is." -- John M. Ford