Font Licenses

Subject: Font Licenses
From: "Roz Ault, Information Technology, X 377" <AULT -at- FAXON -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 1997 09:45:58 -0400

Re this comment:

>Hang on a minute... fonts are copyrighted. You typically buy a license for
>font X on one machine. Copying to your new PC from a Mac or even from
>another PC may be in violation of the copyright.

I'm not sure what the rules are for TrueType fonts. However, for Adobe's
PostScript fonts you need to license a copy for each PostScript printer
you are using, not each computer. At least, this is what Adobe told a
graphic designer for our company a few years ago.

The bitmap (screen) versions of the PostScript fonts may be freely
distributed, although they won't print correctly without the PostScript
(printer) part.

Somewhat peripherally related, for a good article about onscreen
typography see:

http://www.tidbits.com/tb-issues/TidBITS-403.html#lnk4

The article is geared to the Mac, but much of it is applicable to any
platform. It has some good explanations about the various types of
fonts.

- Roz Ault
ault -at- faxon -dot- com