Re: Saddle-stiched booklets and Word

Subject: Re: Saddle-stiched booklets and Word
From: Beth Friedman <bjf -at- WAVEFRONT -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 1997 08:20:08 -0600

In our previous episode, Sally Yeo said:
> Hi all--hope you can help--
>
> Does any know of a add-on to Word (6, 7 or 97) that can do the
> following:
>
> 1. Restructure the document as a 1/2 booklet, saddle-stiched. This
> means laying out page 16 on the right side of the page and page 1 on the
> left, etc. so it works as a booklet.
>
> 2. Leave the document in Word format. The customer does not want to by
> Click Books and deal with another piece of software for maintenance.

ClickBook is the only utility I know of that does what you're asking,
but the second point implies the customer doesn't seem to understand
what ClickBook does. ClickBook is, in fact, an add-on for Word. It's
an alternative printer driver that takes the Word document and prints
it as specified. It doesn't touch the Word document itself.

If it's the $80 pricetag for ClickBook that the customer doesn't want
to incur, my only suggestion is that you print the pages out
individually, lay them out as needed on 11x17" sheets of paper, and
reduce the size when copying.

I would be surprised to see any Word macro that does what you ask,
since that sort of rearranging happens at the printing level, not the
document level.

Beth Friedman bjf -at- wavefront -dot- com
"A civil war is such an awful bother.
We fought at Tewksbury and still ran out of mustard.
I wonder where my brother Richard is." -- John M. Ford