Re: ISO 9000 series quality procedures

Subject: Re: ISO 9000 series quality procedures
From: Joe Miller <joemiller -at- CANBERRA -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 1997 10:13:26 -0500

The purpose of ISO 9000, as I understand it (the company
I work for is ISO 9001 certified), has nothing to do with
quality. It's purpose is to be able to certify that we have
procedures for designing and manufacturing our products,
including manuals.

Peter Ring wrote: (God dag, Peter !)
>The more or less worthless ones typically contains:
>
>- Instructions for standard lay-out of the technical documentation,
> incl. the manuals.
>
>- Procedures for technical control and linguistic control of the
> documentation.

I had developed just those procedures for our documentation
efforts even before ISO 9000 came into our lives, so my
department's audit was completed very quickly (we passed).

Note well: I insist on quality, even though the ISO 9000
certification doesn't !

--Joe
joemiller -at- canberra -dot- com