Re: Personal Knowledge Base

Subject: Re: Personal Knowledge Base
From: "Walker, Arlen P" <Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- JCI -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 1998 10:46:10 -0600

Is there a tool to automate this, like a Personal Knowledge Base
Manager? (I'm willing to pay!) What do you folks do?
Thanks for your help.

Well, here's what I do, FWIW:

I save tidbits to text files and put them into a "drop folder" structure on
the network (the structure is arranged by general subject matter, to help
limit searches). I have an AppleScript running on my web server that every
hour scans the network drop folders for files. If it finds any, it wraps
them with some HTML code and moves them out of the drop folder and into the
web server's searchable text area. "Apple e.g." (name will soon change to
"Apple Information Access Toolkit," yecch!) allows me to use my web browser
to search them, with the "hits" ranked by keyword relevance. The server is
set to re-index nightly, so by the next morning the newly-stored text is
indexed and searchable.

The best thing about this is that it's all Free! "Apple e.g." is a
technology demo from Apple, AppleScript ships with all Macs, and I'm using
the free version of the Quid Pro Quo web server (though both Apple and MS
have free servers for the Mac as well, and NetPresenz from Peter Lewis is
only $10 for both a web and an FTP server). The same webserver also uses
LassoLite (also free) to tie into a Filemaker Pro database of abstracts and
internal reports.

Have fun,
Arlen
DNRC 224