Capture screens

Subject: Capture screens
From: John Posada <posada -at- FAXSAV -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 1998 09:51:52 -0500

Hey, guys...

I'm documenting a major procedure at my company. It is the monthly billing process and between backups, archiving, and processing (some steps take 2-3 hours to run), this is a process that takes 6 days to run. it also takes place on several different PCs depending on the step.

Unfortunately, it is a process that cannot be randomly or repeatedly run since some of the process includes the equivalent of "closing out the books".

Therefore, I have to create my documentation as the real process is run and unfortunately, I'd like to get this written and polished in the least number of cycles because the person that runs it is going on maternity leave in a few months.

So...what I am looking for is a screen capture program that can be run from a diskette without installing it on the PC.

I guess that I could use Window's screen capture ALT-PrintScreen (BTW...does it write to disk each time, where does it place the screen capture files on the hard disk and can I invoke this command repeatedly without having to empty a buffer?), but I'd like to be able to go to a machine, access the A drive, load it into memory, and capture screens and messages during the processes. I can always edit and crop later.

As always...any responses and/or suggestions are welcome.

John Posada, Technical Writer (and proud of the title)
The world's premier Internet fax service company: The FaxSav Global Network
-work http://www.faxsav.com -personal http://www.tdandw.com
-work mailto:posada -at- faxsav -dot- com -personal mailto:john -at- tdandw -dot- com
-work phone: 732-906-2000 X2296 -home phone: 732-291-7811
My opinions are mine, and neither you nor my company can take credit for them.

HEY! Are you coming to the NJ TechWriter lunch? So far, about 10
of us are. Ask me about it.