Re: What might a writing test be?

Subject: Re: What might a writing test be?
From: Vanessa Weibler <vanessa -dot- weibler -at- HIGHMARK -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 1998 08:58:18 -0500

Last week I sent in a resume for a tech writer position I'd seen advertised
in the newspaper. In yesterday's mail, I found an application from the
company along with two "proofreading tests," with the instructions "Circle
any spelling/typographical errors and write in the correct spelling." Hmm!
Doesn't seem like a good sign. I know the definition of "technical writer"
is both controversial and still evolving, but I've never known it to be
synonymous with "proofreader."

Think I would've preferred a writing test. :)

- Vanessa

awatkins -at- pobox -dot- com on 03/25/98 01:27:13 AM

Please respond to awatkins -at- pobox -dot- com

To: TECHWR-L -at- LISTSERV -dot- OKSTATE -dot- EDU
cc: (bcc: Vanessa Weibler/SAM/CORP/Highmark)
Subject: What might a writing test be?

I'm interviewing for a position soon and, like many have
stated here, have no portfolio because all my work has been
proprietary. The company has a standard writing test for
such applicants. Without debating the merits of it, can
anyone who's taken one of these tests tell me what they
might be planning for me? They asked whether I minded
staying for a few hours to do this, so it seems a bit
involved.
Please respond to me; I don't think the list is concerned
with this.
Thanks in advance for your help.
Alfred Watkins
mailto:awatkins -at- pobox -dot- com