Re[2]: Newbies getting jobs...

Subject: Re[2]: Newbies getting jobs...
From: Vanessa Weibler <vanessa -dot- weibler -at- HIGHMARK -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 1998 11:00:39 -0400

I've been surprised to find that-- especially when looking for work in a
different city-- e-mail is a great networking tool. It can be a lot easier
on the "newbie" (or job-hunter). Instead of trying to catch the contact
in, or worrying about bothering him/her at a bad time, a well-crafted
e-mail message can be an effective introduction, and the contact can
respond in a free moment rather than being put "on the spot." A lot of
professional organizations' directories list e-mail addresses, which makes
it simple to find potential contacts.

I've done a lot of networking while looking into a new city recently via
e-mail, and people have been incredibly, overwhelmingly helpful! The
informality of e-mail, perhaps, is the reason people have been so much more
receptive to my e-mail messages than to phone calls.

Just another route to try!

- Vanessa Weibler

---------------------- Forwarded by Vanessa Weibler/SAM/CORP/Highmark on
04/14/98 10:48 AM ---------------------------

Dick Schellens <richard_schellens -at- MAIL -dot- GDT1 -dot- COM> on 04/14/98 11:49:15 AM

Please respond to richard_schellens -at- MAIL -dot- GDT1 -dot- COM

To: TECHWR-L -at- LISTSERV -dot- OKSTATE -dot- EDU
cc: (bcc: Vanessa Weibler/SAM/CORP/Highmark)

I agree that the networking is critical. Here's another idea: (I
document software so this has that slant... correct the seasoning to
your own taste)
Keep an eye out in your local paper for software engineer and/or
project leader ads. Often a team is being assembled for a specific
project. I've responded to these ads and have been 2 months ahead of
other documentation types. If they like you, they may never even
advertise for the documentation position.
Dick Schellens
dicksc -at- gdt1 -dot- com