Re: cross-referencing details between 2 documents

Subject: Re: cross-referencing details between 2 documents
From: "Jody R. Lorig" <jlorig -at- KAVOURAS -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 4 May 1998 09:39:53 +0000

Richard wrote:

>Client may want to make sure that 2 hasn't left anything out that is
>in 1. So I'd like to have the client able to look at doc 1 and at
>every point see a cross-ref to doc 2.

The easiest method I have used that benefitted both the writer and
the checker is by the use of a table. In column one, list the topic.
In column two, list the topic location from document 1. In column
three, list the location of the topic from document 2.

When inserted into document 2, this table provides a quick method of
verifying that all topics from document 1 are covered by document 2.
This will also quickly show new topics in document 2 that weren't
covered in document 1.

If this table is attached as an appendix to the document, a new TOC
page without the appendix listed is the only change required to
remove the table from the document.

HTH

Jody Lorig
JLorig -at- Kavouras -dot- com