Re: Non-technical, Technical Writers

Subject: Re: Non-technical, Technical Writers
From: "Amy G. Peacock" <apeacock -at- WOLFENET -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 6 May 1998 15:40:37 -0700

Thanks Tim for giving me the "in" to voice a thought on all
this.

Tim brings up a good point here. As a self-proclaimed newbie I have
definitely felt a leaning towards 'pick the right tool and you'll
be all right.' Not that I am not extremely grateful for all the info
people have given me, because I am.

However, the more I get into my job and the more people ask me to
do (where does it all end?) the more I notice that I don't have the
basic knowledge/skill/principles to really take me somewhere in this
field. Some may say that I should quit and come back when I've got
a degree or more knowledge about the field in general. They may be
right, but I'm not going to do it. For me, I am having a great time
trying to combine 'learning' with 'doing'. Does it overwhelm me? You
betcha! Do I consider myself the technical type? Nope. Where my
interest lies is in helping the user - being a mentor on paper if you
will.

I don't *want* to be like Tim's 'baby bird.' But I have been pushed
into that role by my circumstances. There's got to be another way. I
think the idea of mentoring is a great idea.(Any takers in the Seattle
area?) There are so many ways to learn - we should take advantage of
them.

Amy Peacock
apeacock -at- wolfenet -dot- com

<snip>