Re: TW Interview Questions

Subject: Re: TW Interview Questions
From: Barry Kieffer <barry -dot- kieffer -at- EXGATE -dot- TEK -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 15 May 1998 11:19:11 -0700

Mark Baker writes:

> This is a no-no. Information that is not related to your qualifications to
> perform the necessary functions of the job you are applying for do not
> belong in a resume or an interview. This is not just a matter of
> professionalism and good taste, it is also a matter of law.

Mark, you are correct. And in a perfect world this is how it must be.

But...

You have got to spend 8-12 hours a day with these people.

I am a firm believer in getting a few employees together and taking the
interviewee to lunch.

This is a nice quiet way to get to know the person. And a good way for the
person to get to know what kind of people they may end up working with.

During the hour-and-a-half lunch, you can learn a lot about each other.

I do not think that many companies these days hire a resume or a
"professional person".

You hire the best person for the job. That takes into account "intangibles"
like demeanor, personality and likes and dislikes.

The person may not look that good on paper, and interview really nervously.
But during lunch you and your group of employees find out that this person
is sincere, and fun to be around. You just might take the chance and hire
this person (on a hunch).

OTOH,

This person may look great on paper, and interview good. During lunch the
person starts talking like a raciest/sexist/militant/nut case. Tell me, do
you really want this person around all day long?

My opinions are never humble...

Barry