Re: Interview Re: Interview questions -Reply

Subject: Re: Interview Re: Interview questions -Reply
From: Hope Cascio <hope -dot- d -dot- cascio -at- US -dot- ARTHURANDERSEN -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 18 May 1998 10:28:56 -0400

This is very interesting. I've never included my outside interests on my
resume, except obliquely... I list websites I maintain, and the subject
matter of these sites, which I've webmastered gratis, are indicative of
some of my interests. I've actually worried, though, that some companies
would be too conservative to consider me *because* of my outside interests,
which are rather political. What clues would I look for on a company's
website, or where else would I look, to find out what preferences a
company's HR department, or hiring manager within the tech writing
department, would have for resumes?

Hope Cascio

To: TECHWR-L @ LISTSERV.OKSTATE.EDU
cc: (bcc: Hope D. Cascio)
From: COMEAUL -at- CSA -dot- CA
Date: 05/15/98 12:21 PM

>>> Bob Morrisette <writer1=40SABU.ENG.SUN.COM> 05/15/98 11:07am Outside =
Interest information does not belong in a resume. You use
valuable space needed to sell your qualifications and it is possible
that you can turn off whoever is reading your resume.
I=27d have to say, Bob, that this depends on the company, who=27s doing =
the hiring, and the position you are applying for. I know of at least 5 =
companies that throw away resumes that don=27t show any outside interests.
=
(Dumb? Sure=21 You can throw away the best candidate because they don=27t =
mention their love of lawn bowling, but some places work that way...)
That=27s why research into the organization and their hiring practices can
=
really help you.
Lisa Comeau
IS Super-User/Trainer