Re: Is GrammAR Important?

Subject: Re: Is GrammAR Important?
From: Julie Knoeller <jknoelle -at- CISCO -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 21 May 1998 13:49:04 -0700

Grammar comprises the building blocks of the language, and all good writers
have it internalized. Situations in which grammar seems "irrelevant" to
communication upon closer inspection reveal that the writer certainly is
not oblivious to good grammar, but is manipulating grammar for particular
purposes (or maybe it was just a bad writer having a good accident).
Knowing the rules before you break them and then breaking them creatively
can yield excellent results, but this is not the same thing as disregarding
them or being ignorant of them in the first place. Conventions exist for a
reason--so we can undersatnd each other with some degree of certainty. Ever
try learning a foreign language without studying grammar? --particularly a
language very different from English--say, Arabic or Mongolian? You don't
learn a language by studying a Berlitz phrase book (nothing against
Berlitz).

There's also a credibility issue that rarely gets mentioned. Don't assume
readers don't know or don't care about the rules. If they see a technical
document that is grammatically incorrect they may not put much faith in
your company's ability to engineer a product either. There are few things
more embarrassing to a pubs department than getting a reader-comment form
back from Japan with a grammar or spelling error noted on it.

Julie Knoeller
Sr. Technical Editor
Cisco Systems, Inc.
http://www.cisco.com/