Re: Proofreader vs. TE/ TW

Subject: Re: Proofreader vs. TE/ TW
From: Julie Knoeller <jknoelle -at- CISCO -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 22 May 1998 11:52:52 -0700

>What is the difference between a technical editor and a proofreader?
>And what abilities do you think TWs have that proofreaders do not?

Generally speaking, editorial responsibilities break down as follows:

*proofreading (checking text against an original for errors)
*copyediting (editing grammar, spelling, punctuation, and format--plus
proofreading)
*substantive editing (editing organization, style, transitions, tone,
reader appropriateness, completeness, consistency--plus all of the above)
*technical editing (all of the above plus technical accuracy and consistency)

Proofreading is something the author should be doing before he or she hands
off a doc to an editor though I frequently see docs that have not even had
spellcheck run on them--this is generally unacceptable condition and I
usually hand them right back to the writer. It's not the editor's job to
compensate for sloppiness.