Re: Proofreader vs. TE/ TW

Subject: Re: Proofreader vs. TE/ TW
From: Fabien Vais <phantoms -at- POP -dot- TOTAL -dot- NET>
Date: Fri, 22 May 1998 15:38:21 -0400

There is a definite difference between a technical editor and a proofreader,
as many people on this list will no doubt let you know. Basically,
proofreading is a "subset" of technical editing, just one of the many things
a good editor will do with a document. Proofreading finds typos, missing
words, double words, and basic formatting (page numbers in wrong order,
illustrations missing, bad page breaks, etc.).

Editing will check for the style, the tone, consistency, text flow, and will
try to ENHANCE the text, to make it more clear. A proofreader must NEVER try
to rewrite any part of the text. An editor might recommend that portions of
the text be switched around, to add to the clarity (never a proofreader...),
or suggest converting data within a paragraph into a table (never a
prrofreader...).

Hope this helped.

Fabien Vais
phantoms -at- total -dot- net