Re: Objectives on resumes and other stuff

Subject: Re: Objectives on resumes and other stuff
From: Scott Miller <smiller -at- CORP -dot- PORTAL -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 27 May 1998 09:45:22 -0700

I say you should always put the objective in the resume. It doesn't have
to be long or wordy, just a simple statement of the position you're
looking for. In my experience, the cover letter never makes it past HR.
When we interview, we only see the resume. As for job fairs, forget
about anything verbal making it back to the office. If you're a likely
candidate, you get a star on your resume to indicate someone worth
calling, but that isn't where the decisions are made. In fact, you could
end up handing your resume to a person who has nothing to do with your
company, that is, an employee of the job fair organizer who is giving
you a break.

If you get a chance to volunteer for your company presence at a job
fair, take it. It's an eye-opener, and it might change how you write
your resume.

- Scott Miller
smiller -at- portal -dot- com