Question: 1099 status and agencies

Subject: Question: 1099 status and agencies
From: Christine Davis and Ron Sering <cdavis -at- CARBON -dot- CUDENVER -dot- EDU>
Date: Wed, 3 Jun 1998 14:43:19 -0600

Hello all! Glad to be back on the list. They closed the field office where
I worked, and I'm trying to hit the trail as a contractor. I'm trying to
get independent work on 1099 status, and so far it is not easy. I've
discussed doing 1099 work with a couple of agencies, and they are
absolutely not interested. They tell me I need a company name and Fed tax
ID number. That is not 1099 status as far as I can tell, but then what do
I know? This could just be a way for agencies to dodge the issue, who
knows? Is it equally difficult to contract directly with clients on a 1099
basis?

Any commments, private preferably, would be appreciated. I will summarize
on the list later on.

Thanks!