Re: Salary Survey from STC

Subject: Re: Salary Survey from STC
From: "Teresa T. Ess" <t -dot- t -dot- ess -at- LARC -dot- NASA -dot- GOV>
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 1998 10:59:12 -0400

Tracy wrote:
>Has *anyone* found the STC salary survey to be accurate for their
particular situation?

Yes, for the most part, I find the STC survey fairly accurate. But, be
aware that I usually work on service contracts for government agencies.

In Virginia, the averages are skewed by D.C. and Richmond and do not
reflect salaries in other areas. But, a coworker here just bought a
five-bedroom house for about $138K.

When I worked at Edwards Air Force Base in California, I was able to use
the salary survey, as one of three sources, to negotiate for a SIGNIFICANT
pay raise. I was successful only because the Department of Labor wage
determination had raised the wages for hourly employees I supervised. But,
it took six months of hard negotiation and three sources.

Teresa

Teresa T. Ess
Supervisor, Technical Publications Support
NCI Information Systems
NASA Langley Research Center
t -dot- t -dot- ess -at- larc -dot- nasa -dot- gov
1-757-864-8331