Re: Updating client-side manuals

Subject: Re: Updating client-side manuals
From: Kathryn J Acciari <acciari -at- ACSU -dot- BUFFALO -dot- EDU>
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 1998 12:12:21 -0400

James,

My organization also releases updates on a fairly frequent basis. Once a
year, we send hard copy manual updates to all users. In between, we
handle new release documentation in two ways.

First, when a new customer comes on board, the key contacts are added to
a listserver for that respective product. When we release an upgrade we
send a summary of the new features through the listserver. That way we
know that every customer is aware of the new features.

Second, our main form of distribution is FTP. We place a text version of
the release notes on our FTP site, and we instruct customers to download
the release notes when they pick up their new release. This has worked
well for us over the past three years. (We plan to move to PDF by the end
of this year.) And of course, we update the manual at the time of each
release so that when it comes time for the annual manual update, there is
little organization to be done.

Any time you can use the Internet to distribute docs, you're saving
yourself a lot of production energy. Hope this helps!

Kathryn J Acciari
Technical Writer/Communicator
University at Buffalo School of Dental Medicine
Buffalo, New York
acciari -at- acsu -dot- buffalo -dot- edu